- Christian Njatcha was featured on the University News as the Cancer Fighter from Cameroon!
- Congratulations to the 2017 Louise M. Nutter Poster Session Award Winners!
- Jill Touchette - Postdoc Winner
- Nora McCall - Graduate Winner
- Artur Serebrenik - Graduate Runner-up
- Ella Borgenheimer - Undergraduate Winner
- Dr. Nicholas Levinson has been awarded an R01!
- A big welcome to our 2017 incoming graduate students!
- Abdulaziz Almotlak
- Malavika Chandrashekar
- Alkaya Massaly
- Jennier Nhieu
- Stephanie Ortize-Valle
- Ralph White
- Andrej Zivanovic
- Jenna Robinson
- Dr. Jessica Martin successfully defended her thesis and completed her doctorate in Pharmacology
- Dr. Yan Yan successfully defended her thesis and completed her doctorate in Pharmacology
- Dr. Bryant Moeller successfully defended his thesis and completed his doctorate in Pharmacology
- Dr. Megan Tipps has been awarded a K01!
- Dr. Nicholas Levinson has secured an NIH R21 Grant entitled "A novel time-resolved fluorescence-based high-throughput screening technology for discovering allosteric kinase inhibitors"
- 2 New Publications From The Wickman Lab!
Discovery and Characterization of 1H-Pyrazol-5-yl-2-phenylacetamides as Novel, Non-Urea-Containing GIRK1/2 Potassium Channel Activators.
Wieting JM, Vadukoot AK, Sharma S, Abney KK, Bridges TM, Daniels JS, Morrison RD, Wickman K, Weaver CD, Hopkins CR.
ACS Chem Neurosci. 2017 Jul 19. doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.7b00217. [Epub ahead of print]
Marron Fernandez de Velasco E, Zhang L, N Vo B, Tipps M, Farris S, Xia Z, Anderson A, Carlblom N, Weaver CD, Dudek SM, Wickman K.
Sci Rep. 2017 May 9;7(1):1639. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-01820-2.PMID: 28487514
- Dr. Tanya Freedman has been appointed to an Assistant Professor in the Tenure Stream.
- Dr. Aaron LeBeau has received a second year of support from the Mayo Clinic!
- Dr. Stanley Thayer has secured an NIH R21 Grant entitled "Synapse loss induced by HIV-1 proteins in the presence of ART and drugs of abuse"
- Dr. Jill Siegfried has published a paper in Oncotarget entitled "Interaction between the estrogen receptor and fibroblast growth factor receptor pathways in non-small cell lung cancer"
- Chris Richards, a Pharmacology Ph.D. student, has obtained a DDF!
- Dr. Tim Walseth has published a review in Pharmacology & Therapeutics entitled "CD38 in the pathogenesis of allergic airway disease; Potential therapeutic targets."
- Dr. Jie Ying Chan has successfully defended her thesis and completed her doctorate in Pharmacology at the University of Minnesota’s Department of Pharmacology.
Thesis Title: “Targeting insulin receptor in human breast cancer using engineered protein scaffolds”
Dr. Chan will be continuing to work with her mentor, Dr. Douglas Yee, as she explores her career and employment oportunities.
- Dr. Cheuk Leung has successfully secured an NIH R01 Grant entitled "Control of quiescence and outgrowth in latent breast preneoplastic cells"! Please congratulate him on his latest achievement!
- Congratulations to the Levinson Lab on their new publication!
- A water-mediated allosteric network governs activation of Aurora kinase A.
Soreen Cyphers, Emily F Ruff, Julie M Behr, John D Chodera, Nicholas M Levinson
Nature Chemical Biology (2017) doi:10.1038/nchembio.2296
- Mariya Shapovalova, a 2nd year Pharmacology Ph.D. Student in Dr. Aaron LeBeau’s lab, has been awarded a Fellowship from the Department of Defense’s Prostate Cancer Research Program! This Program aims "to find and fund research that will lead to the elimination of death from prostate cancer and enhance the well-being of men experiencing the impact of the disease."
- 2 New Publications From The Wickman Lab!
- Suppression of inhibitory G protein signaling in forebrain pyramidal neurons triggers plasticity of glutamatergic neurotransmission in the nucleus accumbens core.
Marron Fernandez de Velasco E, Carlblom N, Xia Z, Wickman K.
Neuropharmacology. 2017 Jan 25. pii: S0028-3908(17)30022-9. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2017.01.021. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28131769
- Selective Ablation of GIRK Channels in Dopamine Neurons Alters Behavioral Effects of Cocaine in Mice.
McCall NM, Kotecki L, Dominguez-Lopez S, Marron Fernandez de Velasco E, Carlblom N, Sharpe AL, Beckstead MJ, Wickman K.
Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Feb;42(3):707-715. doi: 10.1038/npp.2016.138 PMID: 27468917
- Dr. Tanya Freedman has been awarded two new grants!
- MCC Institutional Research Grant entitled: "The LynA signaling pathway in tumor-associated macrophages"
- NIH R03 Grant entitled: "Generating LynA-/- and Lyn B-/- mice by CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing"
- Dr. Jonathan Marchant has been awarded an NIH R21 Grant entitled "A pharmacological screen for 'inactivating antagonists' at an essential parasite G protein coupled receptor". Please congratulate the Marchant Lab on their latest achievement!
- Dr. Stanley Thayer and his lab have published a Paper in the Journal of Neuroscience entitled "NMDARs Adapt to Neurotoxic HIV Protein Tat Downstream of a GluN2A-Ubiquitin Ligase Signaling Pathway".
- Dr. Hiroshi Hiasa has been reappointed Director of Undergraduate Studies!
- Dr. Anna Lee has been awarded a Medical School UMF Research Grant entitled "How does Sazetidine-A Reduce Alcohol Consumption?"!
- Congratulations to the 2016 Annual Retreat Dr. Louis Nutter Memorial Poster Session Winners:
- Winner - Amanda Oliveira (center)
- Runner-up - Gihan Gunaratne (left)
- Runner-up - Christopher Richards (right)
- Undergraduate Poster Winner -
- Welcome to our new Graduate Students!:
Please give a warm welcome to our incoming graduate students:
- Maram Essawy
- Hallie Hintz
- Eric Lake
- Timothy Rose
- Nawal Yahya
- Yuan Zheng
- Shilvi Joshi
- Oshin Miranda
- Jennifer Nhieu
- The Department of Pharmacology has established drug discovery as an area of strategic importance for future growth and success of the department. To that end it has decided to provide seed money for new drug discovery efforts (not currently funded through existing grants) that have high potential for future funding. Three primary faculty have been awarded funding through the department's new Pilot Program in Drug Discovery:
- Dr. Hiroshi Hiasa
- Dr. Jonathan Marchant
- Dr. Li-Na Wei
- Congratulations to Dr. Anna Lee and her lab for recently publishing a paper in Neuropharmacology entitled: “Voluntary Co-Consumption of Alcohol and Nicotine: Effects of Abstinence, Intermittency and Withdrawal in Mice”
- An investigator initiated clinical trial is opening at the Masonic Cancer Center based on research conducted by the laboratory of Dr. Jill Siegfried! The trial will be led by Dr. Manish Patel.
- Title: "Phase II Trial of Exemestane in Previously Treated Post-Menopausal Women with advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer"
- Dr. Aaron LeBeau has been awarded a Paul Calabresi K12 Award in Clinical-Translational Research at Mayo Clinic by the National Cancer Institute.
- Dr. Stanley Thayer's NIH grant entitled "Scalable assay for drugs to reverse synapse loss during HIV-1 neurotoxicity" successfully transitioned from the assay develpment (R21) to drug screening (R33) phase! Drug screening is in collaboration with Dr. Jon Hawkinson of the ITDD
- Dr. Li-Na Wei's lab recently published three papers. Read the abstracts: Stem Cells, Scientific Reports, and Journal of Innate Immunity.
- Dr. Aaron LeBeau has been awarded a Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund Award for his work on imaging aggressive organ-confined prostate cancer.
- Congratulations to our latest Pharmacology Minor Graduates!
- Neil Anderson
- Jessica Bentley
- Stephanie Breunig
- Mitchell Budde
- Angela Burt
- Austin Cossalter
- Jeffrey Gaynes
- Elizabeth Hartell
- Seokwon Jo
- Shilvi Joshi
- Cedrik Krouch
- Qianquian Ma
- Avinash Persaud
- Joshua Policarpio
- Taylor Takasugi
- Michael Tobin
- Joseph Voth
- Zachary Weinstock
- Marissah Wood
- Andrew Zhou
- Dr. Jill Siegfried has published a new paper in Neoplasia! Please congratulate her on this outstanding achievement!
- Dr. Tanya Freedman has published a new paper in eLife!
- Dr. Aaron LeBeau has been awarded an Equipment Grant from the medical school! This grant will be used to purchase a new automatic gamma counter!
- Dr. Jill Siegfried has been awarded an R25 Grant! Project Title: Cancer Research Education and Training Exprience
- Dr. Jonathan Marchant has been awarded an R01 Grant! Title: Functional architecture of intracellular Ca2+ Signals
- Dr. Jill Siegfried has been awarded a new R21 grant from the National Cancer Institute!
- Title: Role of hormone pathways in chemoprevention for high-risk smokers
- This grant will combine an anti-estrogen with an anti-inflammatory drug to prevent lung cancer in mice exposed to a tobacco carcinogen, and measure estrogenic pathways in biopsies from smokers with precancerous airway lesions.
- Congratulations to our latest Pharmacology minor graduates!
- Kelsey Dahlgren, Biochemistry Major, CBS
- Michael Jake Gustafson, Physiology Major, CLA
- Erin Higgins, Neuroscience Major, CBS
- Tyler Loomer, Physiology Major, CLA
- Daniel Neren, Psychology Major, CLA
- Jennifer Nhieu, Biochemistry Major, CBS
- Felix Okotete, Physiology Major, CLA
- Jonathan Resch, Biochemistry Major, CBS
- Thaddeus Schmitt, Biochemistry Major, CBS
- Fallon Schwoch, Biology Major, CBS
- Benjamin Swart, Genetics, Cell Biology and Development Major, CBS
- Sheng Thao, Chemistry Major, CSE
- Tyler Tschumperlin, Neuroscience Major, CBS
- Hannah Vo, Physiology Major, CLA
- Natalie Wolf, Genetics, Cell Biology and Development Major, CBS
- The Department of Pharmacology successfully raised $400 to purchase items for the University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital through their Wish List at Target. Thanks to everyone who was able to contribute!
- Congratulations to Dr. Earl Dunham for receiving the Pharmacy Alumni Society's Faculty Recognition Award.
- A paper entitled "A Unified Mechanism for Aminopeptidase N-based tumor cell motility and tumor-homing therapy" by Dr. Fang Li's lab has been accepted by the Journal of Biological Chemistry. Please congratulate Dr. Fang and his lab on this achievement!
- A recent publication by Dr. Fang Li was highlighted on the University of Minnesota's Health Sciences News Room!
- Dr. Nick Levinson will begin October 1, 2014. Dr. Levinson comes to us from Stanford University where he is a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Chemistry. Dr. Levinson's research investigates the allosteric control of function in receptor tyrosine kinases and other receptor classes.
- Dr. Tanya Freedman will begin October 1, 2014 as a Research Track Assistant Professor. Dr. Freedman comes to us from the University of California, San Francisco where she is a Research Specialist in the Department of Medicine/Division of Rheumatology.
- Dr. Anna Lee will begin August 1, 2014. Dr. Lee comes to us from the University of Texas at Austin's Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, where she holds the position of Research Assistant Professor. Dr. Lee's research investigates the neuropharmacological mechanisms of addiction to nicotine and alcohol.
- Dr. Aaron Lebeau will begin July 1, 2014. Dr. Lebeau comes to us from the University of California, San Francisco, where he is a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Departments of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Dr. Lebeau's research investigates the role of proteases as therapeutic targets and the use of antibodies as tumor imaging and anti-tumor agents.
- Dr. Kevin Wickman is a 2013-14 recipient of the University of Minnesota Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education! You can read more about Dr. Wickman's achievement at the Academy of Distinguished Teachers site.
- A recent article by Dr. Stanley Thayer was highlighted on the Health Talk blog.
- Jill M. Siegfried, Ph.D., named head of the Department of Pharmacology and associate director for Experimental Therapeutics at the Masonic Cancer Center.
- Congratulations to the first group of students who graduated with the Pharmacology Minor!
- Alexander James Kellogg, Physiology Major, CLA
- Sukdong Lee, Biochemistry Major, CBS
- Peter E. Thorne, Microbiology Major, CBS
- Jennifer A. Vanvliet, Physiology Major, CLA
- Welcome to new faculty member, Dr. Cheuk Leung, Assistant Professor of Pharmacology.
- August: Dr. Kevin Wickman is the recipient of the Year One Distinguished Teaching Award for 2012-13. The award will be presented at the Medical School-Minnesota Medical Foundation Honors and Awards program on April 17, 2013.
- January: Recent articles by Dr. Timothy Walseth and Dr. Jonathan Marchant were selected as "Papers of the Week" in the Jan. 20, 2012 issue of Journal of Biological Chemistry".
- The Basic Research Center on Molecular and Cell Biology of Drug Abuse is now accepting proposals for seed grants to support their unproven techniques or hypotheses in drug addiction research. (Oct)
- Dr. Li-Na Wei, is the recipient of the Distinguished Women Scholars Award in Science and Engineering for 2011. (Oct)
- The Department of Pharmacology at the University of Minnesota invites applications for a tenured/tenure track faculty position (Assistant, Associate or Full Professor) (closed).
- The Basic Research Center on Molecular and Cell Biology of Drug Abuse is now accepting proposals for seed grants to support their unproven techniques or hypotheses in drug addiction research.
- Dr. Li-Na Wei, is the recipient of the Ada Comstock Distinguished Women Scholars Award in Science and Engineering for 2011 (Oct).
- Dr. Kevin Wickman was an invited keynote speaker at the Seventh Annual Northwest Regional Undergraduate Affiliate Network Meeting, held at Concordia College, Moorhead MN. (Sept)
- Dr. Li-Na Wei was invited to chair and speak at the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) conference "Retinoids 2011", held in Strasbourg, France. (Sept)
- Dr. Horace Loh was invited to present the Israel Hanin Lecture at the Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University, Chicago. (July)
- Li-Na Wei was invited as co-chair and spoke at the annual Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America (SCBA) symposium on Diabetes, Obesity and Energy Metabolism at Guangzhou, China. (July)
- Dr. Fang Li was an invited speaker at the 12th International Nidovirus Symposium held at Traverse City, Michigan. (June)
- Li-Na Wei was invited to speak at Kappa Therapeutics international meeting at Seattle, Washington. (June)
- Dr. Kevin Wickman was promoted to Professor. (June)
- Dr. Li-Na Wei served as co-chair and spoke at the symposium Epigenetics of Drug Abuse Genes at the CPDD/INRC held in Hollywood, Florida. (April)
- Dr. Ping-Yee Law was a speaker at the Er Yi Innovation Forum, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China. Er Yi Innovation Forum is a special seminar series sponsored by Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences and Institutes of Medical Sciences at Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine. This forum provides an important platform for students and researchers from the School of Medicine and its affiliated hospitals, the Institute Pasteur of Shanghai, and the Institute of Heath Science of Chinese Academy of Sciences to communicate with world-renowned scientists and learn about the most recent discoveries from their research. (Jan)
- Yuet-Fong (Angel) Kam and Ekaterina Posokhova awarded 2011 Beatrice Z. Milne and Theodore Brandenburg Awards. (May)
- Ajay Yekkirala awarded the 2011 Dr. Marvin and Hadassah Bacaner Research Award in Pharmacology (April).
- Ping-Chih (Daniel) Ho awarded the 2011 Steer Family Award in Diabetics Research. (April)
- Dr. Ping-Yee Law was invited to present his work at the Molecular Pharmacology Gordon Research Conference held at Ventura, California. (Jan.)